It's simple. I want to be rich.

I'm a typical middle-income office worker and I'm learning to invest in the stock market. The goal is to reach upwards of ten million pesos by the time I reach 65.

I started investing in 2008. In May 2009, I put together a game plan and have been recording my progress against it.

This blog then is a running record of my performance and a way to share what I've learned along the way.

-------------

Since I have started this blog, I have revised my goal several times. My current goal to to retire by the time I'm 45 or earlier with more than 20 million pesos generating interest.

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

It gets easier

During a casual conversation one Saturday, I told a friend of mine who is a very successful businessman about my plan to retire by the time I reach 45, or earlier. I explained how I planned to live on the interest from my stock investments. With a faintly incredulous tone, he wished me “good luck”. I’m sure he didn’t believe I could do it.

He most probably meant well but I could read his skepticism as plainly as if it was written on his forehead. That’s perfectly fine. Until I have my millions to show, I will never be completely believed, I’ve accepted that. And even then, I’m sure many would still be skeptical. All this merely points to how hugely misunderstood stocks are. Come to think of it, I don’t think anyone of my friends actually takes me seriously.

Every day that my portfolio grows, I am brought closer to my dream of financial independence for me and my family. And closer to the day when I finally prove to everyone that it can be done.

Today my portfolio convincingly broke the half-million mark. This is a major milestone for me. It has taken me almost four years to get to this mark. To double my money to a full million, I’m projecting it will only take me about 16 months. Skeptical? I’m sure you are but I’ve tracked my monthly growth averages and it is very doable.

Then from one million to two million, the same, another 16 months. From two million to four million, again, another 16 months. From four million to eight million, another 16 months. You get the picture.

Doubling money from 20 million to 40 million is just as easy (or hard) as doubling from one to two million. It’s the same percentage growth of 100%. So if you really think about it, my journey to financial independence can only accelerate and get easier going forward.

Thinking this, I can’t help but smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment