It's simple. I want to be rich.

I'm a typical middle-income office worker and I'm learning to invest in the stock market. The goal is to reach upwards of ten million pesos by the time I reach 65.

I started investing in 2008. In May 2009, I put together a game plan and have been recording my progress against it.

This blog then is a running record of my performance and a way to share what I've learned along the way.

-------------

Since I have started this blog, I have revised my goal several times. My current goal to to retire by the time I'm 45 or earlier with more than 20 million pesos generating interest.

Thursday, September 3, 2009

Pay yourself first

Pay yourself first. This is an important rule of investing. I used to just set aside money that remained after my expenses. Not surprisingly, my savings never grew by much. I ended up using whatever funds I had managed to set aside and accumulate to pay for various unexpected (they never are expected) emergencies. Things like a sudden car repair that was needed, an emergency hospitalization, an unplanned weekend trip, etc.

But I’ve since learned better. Aside from a monthly allocation that goes to my investment in stocks, I also opted in to a coop membership and program that deducted a regular amount from my salary. The money goes into a fund that earns about 6 - 8% per annum. Not at all bad considering you don’t really think about it anymore once you get used to your adjusted ‘actual’ take-home pay.

For those who want to be more aggressive, go with stocks. 6 - 8% can be easily achieved in a good month. In fact, my best month so far was in July of this year where I made 13.26% overall on my portfolio. For those who prefer to be a passive investor, try mutual funds or, like me, investment funds offered by cooperatives.

The important thing is that you must treat investment like a utility bill that you absolutely must pay every month. Do that and your wealth-building becomes a lot easier and almost painless.

No comments:

Post a Comment